Episode 7 of the Art of Composing Podcast. In this episode, we look at creativity – what it is, how to find it, and how to explore your creative boundaries.
What is in this episode:
- What is creativity?
- The two kinds of artist and what it means for your creative endeavors.
- A six step process of creativity.
Support the Podcast!
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Musical Creativity: Strategies and Tools in Composition and Improvisation (Computational Music Science)
Identify Your Artistic Type
- Do you plan your compositions before hand, or do you just start writing or playing on your instrument? Do you make sketches?
- When do you make your most important compositional decisions?
- Do you have clear compositional goals when you sit down to compose?
- Do you have a clear idea of what the finished composition will be like?
- When do you stop composing, or decide a work is complete?
6 Step Process of Creativity
- Exhibiting the open question.
- Identifying the semiotic context.
- Finding the questions critical sign or concept in the semiotic context.
- Identifying the concepts walls.
- Opening the walls and displaying its new perspective.
- Evaluating the extended walls.
Creativity requires that you dig deep into your own mind and answer these kinds of questions. Deep reflection is the only way to truly grow.
Transcript coming soon!